Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mossy Moss

It's called thatching, my friends. Lawn care in the Northwest is way different than what I was used to in the lovely deseret. Instead of raking leaves in the autumn (because there are barely any deciduous trees here, only evergreens), we thatch moss in the spring. Moss grows everywhere. It grows on driveways, on rooftops, on decks. My sister has to restain her deck every year because it's too mossy and slippery otherwise. I would probably grow moss if I stood still outside too long. So we put a weed-n-feed on our grass, which kills the moss, and then we rake and rake the dead moss out of our lawn. Fun! The three piles in the picture below are all moss I have thatched out.

3 comments:

Chantalita said...

Interesting, I had no idea. In the northeast we don't deal with the moss issue. You have a lovely, lush lawn!

Janan said...

THat's funny, I never knew.

Terra said...

I love moss! It's cozy, though not so much in your lawn.