Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

Damon took me rock climbing for mother's day. It was awesome. I have some of my own gear, shoes and harness, but it has been a LONG TIME since we have been rock climbing. I don't think we have really been since before we were married. We went to an indoor gym, which I have also never done. The girl at the front counter said we had to show that we could belay by ourselves without any help or we wouldn't be able to rope in, we would just have to boulder (climb about 10 feet up without any rope). Neither of us could tie ourselves in, as I said, it has been a while. Obviously they wanted us to pay for lessons, so I asked how much we could pay to have her teach us. She didn't charge us, but she did teach us, and she was a good teacher. I knew the lingo "On belay . . . Belay on." So she knew I had some experience. And then we climbed around for an hour and a half. I loved it. Damon was a good sport, he doesn't enjoy it the way I do. They mark certain climbs with tape, and you are only supposed to use those holds to make the route more challenging. Damon and I took turns climbing, and he kept saying he wasn't going to stick to the route, he was just going to use any hold that was available. But in the end he stuck to the marked routes. We all had a good time. Then we went to a sushi restaurant, which is Damon's favorite. Sorry I don't have any pictures of us climbing. I thought about taking the camera, but didn't.

2 comments:

Chantalita said...

I remember going rock climbing for FHE back in our old ward!! That is my kind of mother's day gift. Points for Damon!! You deserve it.

Heather said...

Yeah! You've talked about rock climbing for as long as I've known you. I'm glad you finally got to go. :)